Last month I had the pleasure of speaking at WordCamp Chicago. My presentation was titled Solutions Before Development – Creating WordPress Products That Actually Sell.
If you’re considering building WordPress themes and launching a theme shop, this talk is a must see video for you.
My presentation followed this outline:
- The Internal Fight
- The Concept Was Simple
- In the beginning… We were completely and utterly clueless
- At First We Were Just Another WordPress Theme Store
- Find Your Niche
- Holy Cow, It Worked!
- Start With a Plan Evaluate
- The Small Town Solution
- Develop a Marketing Strategy
- Know That Good Design is Critical
- Structured Code Was Key
- Pay for a True Code Audit
- It’s a Team Effort
- Use the Right Tools
- Understand Your Cost Structure
- Plan for Trouble
- What WordPress magic will you create?
A video of my presentation was recently uploaded to WordPress.tv and is available for viewing:
If you’d like to grab a copy of my presentation slides, they are shown below and available for download at SlideShare.net.